The Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) has close to 10,000 members comprising all persons who are called as advocates and solicitors of the Supreme Court or who are appointed as Legal Service Officers.
With the changing legal landscape in Singapore, SAL is aiming to realign its long-term strategic role within Singapore. The overarching objectives of the legal industry (Singapore Law Inc) are to:
- grow Singapore’s legal service industry so as to significantly contribute to Singapore’s GDP;
- build a robust legal framework to keep public confidence and ensure access to justice for the common man.
In line with SAL’s key focus of realigning the organisation in view of the changing legal landscape, SAL was looking at how they could develop Strategic thinking for their top management team and to develop a strategic plan to support their strategic thrusts.
SAL’s key objectives for this engagement are as follows:
- Support management team in defining SAL’s future and strategic plans.
- Ensure buy-in and commitment to the strategic plans
- Translate the strategic thrusts into systematic executable plans
The Planning Strategic Vision (PSV) program was chosen as it focuses on providing a structured framework to support the formulation of a strategic plan, drive alignment of the plan and communicate the strategy across the organisation. This integrated program which included 2 coaching sessions would support the SAL management team in being able to build strategic thinking skills and also support them in developing and aligning their strategic plans.
After reviewing SAL’s objectives and requirements, ODE Consulting customized a PSV engagement which spanned 1-day planning and 2 half day workshops, followed by 2 half-day coaching sessions. The engagement incorporated:
- Identify trends in the legal landscape and perform existing state analysis
- Develop SAL strategic plan; vision, mission, goals, critical success factors
- Develop environment that will support successful execution of the strategic plans
- Develop scorecard measurements to drive execution
- Understand SAL’s ecosystem and define inter-linkages
- Build the communication plan with key stakeholders
The engagement drove all of SAL’s outcomes. Throughout the engagement, ODE’s consulting team drove and facilitated the SAL management team in developing their strategic plan.
The SAL team taking on an activity in the PSV engagement
The program was focused on SAL’s needs. ODE Consulting also provided strategic planning and execution tools and templates that the management will be able to leverage. ODE Consulting also went the extra mile in ensuring the conversations and the approach focused on getting the buy-in and commitment of the management team.